The first step to using Bar Shield is to know what type of IDs to expect to see depending on what state your business is in. Click on the map to see the most common ID types by state:
The large barcode present on the upper ID and at the bottom of the lower ID is called a PDF 417 or 2D barcode. When the laser scanner is attached, you will scan the PDF 417 by using the infrared laser.
The small barcode that is present at the top of both IDs is the 128 barcode. This barcode does not contain as much information as the 2D barcode, and Bar Shield does not read this barcode if the laser scanner is not attached. If the laser scanner is attached, and the 128 barcode is scanned, the icon will flash red to indicate that the 2D barcode should be scanned.
When the laser scanner is attached, magnetic strip IDs are scanned by swiping through the card reader located on the back of the scanner.
If the scanner is not attached, you can press anywhere on the screen while in scan mode to activate the flashlight. If the scanner is attached, you press the “light on” button in the top left corner of the screen.
Frequently Asked Questions
1 – How do I know to scan an ID with the laser scanner or the card swipe function on the back of the scanner?
Answer: If the ID does not have a magnetic strip, you ALWAYS scan the ID with the laser scanner. If the ID has a magnetic strip, you ALWAYS scan the ID by using the swipe function on the back of the ID.
EXCEPTION: FLORIDA IDs MUST ALWAYS BE SCANNED WITH THE LASER SCANNER
SCAN WITH MAGNETIC SWIPE ON THE BACK OF THE SCANNER
NOTE: SOME BARCODES AND MAGNETIC STRIPS MIGHT APPEAR DIFFERENTLY
2 – When I scan an ID, I see a pop up screen with four options. What are they for?
Answer: The four options that are displayed are “View Violations”, “Watch”, “Add Photo”, and “Close”.
- “View Violations” can be pressed to view all the infractions the customer has on their record. It will display the specific infractions, where they occurred, the date they occurred, the time they occurred, and if the infraction is “pending” or “witnessed”
- The “Watch” feature allows you to highlight a customer that you feel has a greater potential to cause an issue. When you “watch” a customer, their file is highlighted in yellow in the patron screen. You can search through the database for only customers you have decided to watch in order to make it easier to find a customer and flag them if a disturbance occurs.
- The “Add Photo” option allows you to take a picture of the ID after it is scanned. Simply press the button and the picture mode is activated. Place the picture of the person on the ID within the red box outline, and tap the screen. The picture will be taken, and you will be returned to the scan screen to continue scanning.
- Press the “Close” button to quickly cancel the pop up window after scanning an ID.
3 – How do I quickly find a customer in the database if I want to add a violation?
Answer: There are four ways to search for a customer from the patron list:
- Type their name in the search box at the top of the page.
- Press “watching” to search through customers you have decided to watch for the night.
- Press “violations” to look for customers you have allowed to enter with previous violations.
- Press “recent” to search your whole database, starting with the most recent scan.
NOTE: Every list is sorted with the most current scan at the top of the list.
4 – When the laser scanner is attached, if I get an ID with a magnetic strip and a 2D barcode, should I scan with the infrared laser or use the magnetic swipe on the back of the scanner?
Answer: Anytime an ID has a magnetic strip, ALWAYS scan by using the magnetic swipe on the back of the scanner. This is for two reasons:
- It is the fastest way to scan an ID.
- Some IDs code the information differently in the magnetic strip than they do in the 2D barcode. This can lead to two different records for the same ID. For example, the name coded in the magnetic strip might be “John Smith”, but the name coded in the 2D barcode is “Smith John”. If you use the laser scanner on the 2D barcode, there is a chance that “Smith John” will show to be in good standing, but “John Smith” had violations on his account from when the ID was swiped with the magnetic swipe at a previous establishment.
NOTE: FLORIDA IDS ALWAYS NEED TO BE SCANNED WITH THE LASWER SCANNER
5 – I logged into Bar Shield with the scanner attached, and when I went to the scan screen the scanner icon was not there. I was seeing through the camera like I was going to take a picture. How do I fix this?
Answer: 1) Make sure the scanner is charged. The scanner has its own internal battery that must be kept charged. You will get several thousand scans on a full charge.
2) If the battery is charged, you will need to manually turn the scanner on. Do so by pressing the “connect” button in the top left corner of the screen. If this does not work immediately, press the laser scanner button on the top right side of the scanner. You may need to press the button a few times. Wait a few seconds between each press of the button.
3) If steps 1 and 2 did not work, detach the device from the scanner and reattach. If the scanner does not turn not on right away, repeat step 2.
6 – When is the “Manual Entry” button used?
Answer: The “Manual Entry” button has two primary functions:
- If an ID cannot be read because it is in bad condition, you can manually enter the first six numbers of the driver’s license number, and the customer’s name, and you will be given the same information you would get from scanning the ID normally.
- If a customer commits a violation, gets away, and is later arrested, the police can provide you with the pertinent information and you will be able to enter it into Bar Shield and update their file with the proper violation. If that customer ever returns, you will see their record.
7 – When I am in scan mode with the scanner attached, I see the word “disconnect” in the top left corner. What is that for?
Answer: The disconnect button allows you to turn the scanner off, and scan IDs in QR scanning mode without having to remove your device from the scanner.
NOTE: You should never need to press the disconnect button in the course of normal scanning. You will never get an ID that can’t be read with the scanner, but can be read in QR mode. The disconnect button is primarily intended to be a quick way to turn the scanner off if a problem arises with the scanner such as the battery running out of power.
8 – I pressed the “disconnect” button to turn the scanner off, and when I pressed the connect button to turn it back on I noticed the head count was going up by more the one person per scan. How do I fix this?
Answer: 1) If you see this occurring after you pressed the connect button, detach the device from the scanner, wait three seconds, then reattach the scanner.
- If step (1) did not work, double press the home button of the device. Turn the app entirely off, then log in again.
NOTE: This potential anomaly in the head count feature is the main reason to not press the “disconnect” button unless absolutely necessary.
10 – Can my staff use two scanners at the same time?
Answer: Yes they can. Two or more employees can be logged in at the same time and be scanning IDs.
11 – If my establishment is only using one scanner, and a patron needs to be flagged, can a second account be used to allow the door person to keep scanning?
- a) Log in using another device equipped with the Bar Shield app.
- B) Select the patron icon to display the list of scanned patrons from that night.
- c) Press the refresh button in the top right corner.
You will now have an up-to-date patron list, and you can search for the patron you need to flag.
12 – How do I know how many IDs I have scanned in a given month?
Answer: Click on the reports tab in the My Bar Shield folder.
13 – What is the “Violation Alerts” tab for?
Answer: The “Violation Alerts” tab is your real time connection to every bar in the Bar Shield network. Anytime another bar updates a customer’s bar record with a violation, you will see a number display over the icon.
When you press the “Violation Alert” tab, you will be able to see what has occurred at another establishment, and you will be in a position to be even more proactive in dealing with that customer if they come to your establishment.
14 – I pressed the home button and when I launch Bar Shield again it asked for the pin number and I couldn’t log in. What now?
Answer: a) Make sure Wi-Fi is still connected.
- b) Close the app entirely and re-launch.